Call Us: 1-800-031-7979

Have You Heard About VRAP?

August 22, 2012

The government is trying to do more for veterans due to an incredibly high unemployment rate. While this rate has gone down in recent years, it has been thanks to efforts by the President and Congress to make things better for military service members and their families. Part of that is creating assistance programs to help with college education. The Veterans Retraining Assistance GI Bill gives up to 12 months of Montgomery GI Bill benefits to unemployed veterans who are between the ages of 35 and 60. These veterans may apply for more education benefits, earning up to an additional $1,473 month. VRAP was created as part of the BOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011. There are certain eligibility requirements for this program, so be sure that you qualify before trying to apply.


In order to receive VRAP, you need to be at least 35 but no more than 60 years of age. You also have to be unemployed and you can't have a dishonorable discharge. You can't be eligible for any other VA education benefit programs or drawing from compensation from VA due to your unemployment status. If you are already enrolled in a federal or state job training program, you are not eligible for this benefit. Other eligibility issues apply. You can read more about the program and eligibility through the Veterans Affairs VRAP site.

Program Limitations

You can use the benefit to earn a non-college degree, associate degree or certificate or job training program that will place you in a high demand career. The program will be limited to the first 45,000 participants from July 1st of 2012 to September 30th, 2012 and will be limited to 54,000 participants from October 1st, 2012 to March 31st, 2014. Participants must go to school full time in order to receive up to 12 months assistance which is equal to the monthly full-time payment rate under the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty program. In addition, participants must be enrolled in a program that is approved by the VA at a community college or technical school.

High Demand Occupations

VRAP is only for training that will place veterans in high demand careers, which is determined by the Department of Labor. Read this list to find out more about VRAP's high demand jobs.

Applying for VRAP

You can go online to apply for VRAP through Veterans Affairs' eBenefits site. You need to know your direct deposit information to complete the application as well as the name and location of your school, the name of the program that you are pursuing and select a high demand occupation.

Find Post-Military Education

Many schools set up entire veterans communities with transition assistance, tutoring, prep courses and stable support system. Finding a college that provides services for veterans is simple.

Use our FREE custom search tool to find great military-friendly schools:

Latest News

Tips on Obtaining Your Degree While in the Military

Dec 07, 2012

When you’re in the military, obtaining your degree might seem to difficult but actually it is very possible.

Military Intelligence Degrees

Dec 06, 2012

In each branch of the US military, there are a certain number of intelligence personnel. There are educational requirements in order to be advanced in intelligence personnel.

How to Get a Master's Degree in the Military

Dec 05, 2012

Whether you’re just starting out with your college experience or you already have a bachelor’s degree and are looking to advance the degree, you can get assistance and find the time to complete your master’s degree.

How to Make College Application Process Go Smoothly

Aug 31, 2012

College applications and admissions are key to transitioning into a good environment and securing a better future.