Call Us: 1-800-031-7979

G.I. Bill Helps Spouses Go to School Too

February 6, 2012

The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill offers specific benefits to those who want to get an education. It's actually an amazing gift for veterans, designed to make the transition into civilian service more affable. There is a special provision for other types of aid that provide for transferring benefits to members of a military family. That means your wife, husband or children can receive money, allowing unused benefits to go towards college. So if you have used 12 months of your G.I. Bill, you have up to 24 months to share with your spouse or child.

There are some specific requirements for eligibility. For one, you need at least six years of service with an obligation to serve for four more years. There are several ways that you can get your family into school and start getting a better education.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MCAA)

The MCAA has an amazing benefit for spouses. You can get $4,000 in financial assistance for military spouses who are also in a degree program. It's also available for licenses or training programs for career fields. MilitaryOneSource can help with education counseling and help with other funding sources. You can call MilitaryOneSource at 1-800-342-9647.

Veterans Affairs

What can't the VA do? They are the head department that helps military veterans, and so many veterans have found ways to overcome challenges through the VA. They even offer a financial aid program for your family to go to school. The Spouse and Dependents Education Assistance Program is under the Dependents' Education Assistance (DEA) program. This assistance program provides both education and training to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These may be used for both degree and certificate programs.

State Funding

Multiple resources can be accessed through your state. There are educational benefits for military families, particularly if your spouse died while serving or he became MIA, POW or disabled through serving. Surviving spouses and dependents are eligible for different grants and scholarships because of this status.

Private Aid for College

There are so many scholarships, how do you find the right one? There are even more private scholarships and loan programs for military members. In fact, there could be as much as $300 million in student aid specifically available for military veterans and families. Veterans Affairs has one scholarship search but you can also use Collegeboard's college search.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Find Post-Military Education

Many schools set up entire veterans communities with transition assistance, tutoring, prep courses and stable support system. Finding a college that provides services for veterans is simple.

Use our FREE custom search tool to find great military-friendly schools:

Latest Posts

Top Five Degrees for Military Spouse

Oct 31, 2012

Military personnel are not the only military individuals who may be seeking a degree. Military spouses actually make up a large portion of the military degree seekers.

Top Five Military Degrees

Oct 30, 2012

There are several hundreds types of military degrees with subtypes and minors.